Be warned: This cake is VERY moorish! I made the mistake of baking this cake without people around to help me eat it and in two days I’d polished off about 3/4 of this incredible gooey carrot cake…. woops(gym time!).
Now it may seem like complicated cake to make with a lot of ingredients BUT trust me this cake is worth all the time and love you put into it!
- 175g dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 120ml sunflower oil
- 200g wholemeal self raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- grated zest of 1 orange
2 tsp mixed spice
- 200g carrots, pealed and grated
- 175g sultanas
- 250g philidephia light
- 20g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 rounded teaspoon ground cinnamon
Syrup glaze (this gives the cake the amazing gooey centre):
- Juice of 1/2 small orange
- 1 dessertspoon lemon juice
- 40g dark brown soft sugar
Preheat oven to 170 degrees
- Whisk sugar, eggs + oil together in a bowl using an electric whisk for 2-3 minutes
- Sift in the flour and add the bicarbonate of soda. Stir together then fold in the orange zest, carrots and sultanas.
- Pour into a greased/grease proof lined baking tin + bake for 35-40 minutes. Until a skewer in the middle comes out clear.
- Whilst the cake is cooking make up the syrup glaze by whisking all the ingredients together (orange juice, lemon juice and brown sugar)
- When the cake comes out immediately stab all over with a knife and pour the syrup into the holes.
- Whilst the cake is cooling, mix all the topping ingredients together until light and fluffy and chill in the fridge.
- When the cake is cooled completely, spread the topping over and dust with cinnamon.