Malteser Brownies

Maltesers + brownies = heaven!

This is one of my all time favourite recipes and definitely my readers favourite too!

Texture is everything when it comes to brownies. There are two camps, Cakey vs Fudgy – and i’m definitely in the latter one! If you’re also in this camp, then you HAVE to try this recipe…

Gooey in the middle, dense and fudgy on the outside, crinkly on top and packed full with crunchy Maltesers. Seriously, what is there not to love!?

SONY DSC

Here are a few tips to make sure your brownies are perfect…

1. Whisk the eggs and sugar really well – this will give you that crackly top.

2. Once you’ve added the flour be careful not to over mix – this will add air to the mixture and result in a cake-like texture.

3. Be very careful not to overcook your brownies – the top should only just be set with a little wobble underneath. When in doubt, lean towards underdone than overdone. Brownies will continue to cook and firm up as they cool.

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 09.25.25

Ingredients (makes 9 large/ 12 small brownies)

150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
170g 70% dark chocolate
225g caster sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
150g self-raising flour
150g Maltesers

Let’s get baking…

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and base line a 23x23cm square tin with baking paper.

Gently melt the butter and chocolate in a glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water, or in the microwave in 20 second blasts. Once melted, remove from the heat and leave to cool.

In a separate bowl whisk together the sugar and eggs until frothy. Pour in the melted butter chocolate mixture and the flour and fold together until you have a thick chocolate mixture. Now fold in the Maltesers and spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, smoothing it out with a knife.

Bake in the centre of the oven for 17-20 minutes. The top should no longer be shiny and the edges should be starting to crack. Test the brownies with a toothpick, it should come out almost clean.

Cool completely, before cutting and serving. I love these brownies warmed up in the microwave with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream…. absolute heaven!

48 thoughts on “Malteser Brownies

1. Selena says:

hi Jessie last time I made these malteser brownies they turned quite hard and at some parts (maybe because of the malteser) how can I improve the next time I make it. thank you

• jessicamarsden1 says:

Hi Selena,

Sorry to hear your brownies didn’t turn out quite right!
      It may be that your oven is slightly hotter and cooks faster than mine, next time try baking them for 3-4 minutes less. Even if they look slightly underdone still take them out, as they will continue to cook as they cool 🙂 Also, try cutting the Maltesers in half before adding them to the cake mixture so that they are less hard.

Hope this is has been helpful for you 🙂

2. Komal says:

Hi
    Your recipie sounds amazing I’m making this tomorrow and was wondering if I double the ingridients and cook them all together will it effect it ?

• jessicamarsden1 says:

Hi Komal,

This recipe can definitely be doubled, however the cooking time will have to be doubled (approx. 40 mins) if you plan to use the same size baking tin.

If you’re using a larger baking tin I would bake for 30 mins.

Hope this helps – happy baking 🙂

• jessicamarsden1 says:

Hi Tinz,

Apologies for the late reply, I’ve been away on holiday!
      I haven’t tried using brown sugar in these brownies but have used it in Blondies and it added a lovely caramel flavour – let me know if you tried it, would love to know how they turned out!
      🙂

3. cazzie says:

Hi Jessie, I live making these as does my family and friends. Today I have made them with diam bars in stead of maltesers…..let you know how they turn out.

• jessicamarsden1 says:

Hi Cazzie! So happy you like them, ooooo Diam bars is a great shout, definitely let me know how they turn out. I’d love to see what they look like too! Maybe tag me on Twitter @JessieCakesUk ?

4. Rcm says:

Hi Jessie I wanted to make these today for a friends birthday. If I doubled the batch or did a batch and a half in one tray what would the cooking time be?

• jessicamarsden1 says:

Hi there,

So I would up your cooking time to 30-35 minutes. A toothpick inserted into one of the corners should come out clean, whereas a toothpick inserted into the middle should come out slightly covered in mixture.
      Hope this helps 🙂

5. km96 says:

Just found your recipe for malteser brownies so making a batch for our Macmillan coffee morning bake off tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed I win the competition 🍰🍰🍰🍫🍫🍫

6. Anna says:

Hi these look sooo good! Going to make some tomorrow just wanted to ask one question do you fold in the flour or just mix it?
    Thanks

7. vigrx fact sheet says:

I don’t comment, but I browsed a few comments here Malteser Brownies
    | JessieCakes. I actually do have 2 questions for you if you tend not to mind.
    Could it be simply me or does it give the impression like a few of the comments look like they
    are coming from brain dead folks? 😛 And, if you
    are posting on additional places, I would like to keep up with
    everything fresh you have to post. Would you make a
    list of every one of all your social community sites
    like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

• jessicamarsden1 says:

Hi there,

Happy you like the post! Haha, I think I know which comments you are referring too, this is one of my favourite bakes so I was also a little shocked about the comment too.

Yes of course, my facebook account is https://www.facebook.com/jessiecakesbakes where I post all the links to new posts and any new updates.

Also if you haven’t already done so, you can follow my blog and receive email updates of new posts. The follow button is on the blog.

Look out for a new healthy bake up on the blog on Monday!

Jessiecakes

8. Tania says:

I made these last week and have to say they were lush!!! They didn’t last long and went down a treat at work!! Will definitely make these again and might try different things like crunchie, mini eggs and rolos!!

• jessicamarsden1 says:

HI Tania,

So glad you enjoyed them. They are so easy to make but very rewarding. It’s funny you should mention Mini Eggs as I made them for a charity bakesale last wednesday! They were so tasty! Recipe will be on the blog soon

x

9. Adam says:

Hi Jessie,

I’m new to baking and have chosen these brownies for my third recipe to try (the first two were choc chip fairy cakes and cookies). I think your site is going to be really helpful as I continue to learn 🙂

One thing I’d like to know is what butter you prefer to use? I’m always unsure when I’m looking at all the choices in the supermarket.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Adam

• jessicamarsden1 says:

Hi Adam, so happy to hear you are enjoying my blog!

Well for cakes I always use Stork (makes the cakes light and fluffy).

For brownies and cookies I always use just regular unsalted butter, I like the Tesco butter.

And for buttercream and frosting I always use Lurpack unsalted butter (it’s lighter in colour, so the frosting is a a bright white rather than a yellower colour)

I hope that helps!

Happy Baking

Jessie

10. Graham says:

Absolutely smashed it 👊
    They went in minutes. Used bournville chocolate, which worked really well. Will definitely be getting made again soon, thinking of maybe trying crunchie bites instead of malteasers next time, see how they come out.
    You tried the cupcake version yet?

11. Graham says:

Made these recently, but decided to do them as cup cakes, came out brilliantly. I’m not a blogger myself but love reading your blog. Some great tips and advice 👍

12. stephstephxo says:

Will definitely be trying those! Excellent photos and what an awesome idea, maltesers, usually put chocolate chips in. Can’t wait to bake these.
    Thanks for sharing.