Carrot Cake sponge is one of my all time favourites, instead of making one big sponge cake I thought cupcakes would be a lot cuter! This recipe requires quite a bit of attention but tastes amazing.
There are four stages to these cupcakes. Sugarpaste decorations, Sponge mix, Syrup Glaze and Cream Cheese Frosting. Good luck and get baking!
- A fistful size of white Sugarpaste (sometimes called Regal/Royal icing)
- Orange & Green food colouring
- A tablespoon of icing sugar mixed with water
- 175g brown muscovado sugar
- 100g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- zest 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 200g carrots , grated
- Juice of half small orange
- 1 dessert spoon Lemon juice
- 40g brown sugar
Cream cheese frosting:
- 100g butter , softened
- 300g soft cheese
- 100g icing sugar , sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Seperate your icing into two sections, add the green food colouring to one and knead the icing until you have an even colour you are happy with. Now to the same to the other section but dye this one orange.
- Start ripping of little bits of the orange icing and shape them into carrot shapes. Use a knife/cocktail stick to add detail to them.
Now using the green icing make little carrot leaf toppings by rolling the icing out into a thin roll and chopping into little pieces. Use your water and icing sugar mixture to stick the leaves to the carrots.
Heres how mine turned out:
I pre made my carrots a few days before, but you can do it on the same day if you haven’t got the time.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases. In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar, flours, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and orange zest.
- Whisk together the eggs and oil, then stir into the dry ingredients with the grated carrot.
- Divide the mixture between cases and bake for 20-22 mins until a skewer poked in comes out clean.
- Whilst the cakes are baking, mix all the syrup glaze ingredients together. As soon as you take your cakes out of the oven poke them all over with a knife and pour the glaze into the holes. (The sponge with soak up the syrup adding moisture).
- Now make the frosting by beating your butter and creme cheese until very soft and smooth. (This is very important because if not both at room temp. and beated first when it comes to adding the icing sugar it will form horrible lumps). Sift in the icing sugar and add the vanilla extract and beaut until very smooth.
- Spread on top of the cakes and add the carrot decorations.