This is a great summer bake. Fluffy vanilla cupcakes, with a surprise strawberry jam filling, topped with a swirl of cream cheese frosting, a sprinkle of crushed Digestive biscuits and a fresh strawberry.
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes)
For the sponge:
150g Self-raising flour
150g Stork tub
150g Caster Sugar
2 medium eggs, at room temp
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tbsp Milk
For the cream-cheese frosting:
200g Full-fat cream cheese (cold from the fridge)
400g Icing sugar
70g Unsalted butter (at room temp)
For the filling/decoration:
1 jar of strawberry jam
12 fresh whole strawberries
4-5 digestive biscuits (crumbled)
Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin baking tray with 12 cupcake cases.
Start with the cupcakes:
- Make the sponge mixture by first creaming together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Mix in one egg at a time, along with a little flour to stop the mixture curdling. Once eggs are all added, add the vanilla extract and mix.
- Fold in the remaining flour and milk until fully combined, smooth.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 mins until cakes are a golden brown colour and a skewer in the centre of one comes out clean. Transfer cakes to a cooling rack and leave to completely cool.
- Once cakes are cooled, remove the centre of each cake by either using a cupcake corer, as shown above, or use a teaspoon to scoop out the middle.
- Fill each cupcake with a teaspoon of strawberry jam, then push the core back into the cupcake to seal the cupcake.
Now make your frosting:
- Melt the butter in the microwave in 10 second blasts until liquid.
- Add the cream cheese frosting and mix together.
- Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and beat together until smooth. Be careful not to overbeat as this will make the cream cheese loosen and too liquid.
- Use a piping bag and a large open star nozzle, pipe the cream cheese frosting starting from the outside spiralling inwards onto the filled cupcakes.
- Crush a few digestive biscuits and sprinkle over the cupcakes.
- Finish by placing a whole strawberry on top.