Soft and fluffy cupcakes made with fresh seasonal strawberries, topped with creamy vanilla buttercream and decorated with rainbow sprinkles.
I’m finally back after taking a much longer than expected blogging break, so please forgive me if I’m a little rusty 🙂
I going to let you in on a little secret though, these cupcakes were a mistake gone right!
After putting them in the oven, I began cleaning up and soon realised that I’d forgot to add the rest of the flour – eeeeek! After panicking and debating whether to take them out of the oven and start again, I decided to cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Absolute heaven ❤ These cupcakes are SO light, SO fluffy and perfectly balanced in taste. The days of equal parts butter, sugar and flour are no more!
I mixed chopped strawberries and fresh strawberry puree into the mixture to add taste and texture and topped them with my classic vanilla buttercream recipe. Which I’m told from my friend “is just so good… it’s got class!” 🙂 thanks Stef!
So let’s get baking shall we….
Ingredients (makes 12 large cupcakes)
150g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
200g unsalted butter, I always use Stork as it makes your cakes so much more fluffy.
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp whole milk
100g fresh strawberries, pureed using a blender or processor
100g fresh strawberries, chopped into small pieces
250g unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
600g icing sugar, sieved into a bowl
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp whole whmilk
12 fresh stawberries
Let’s start by making the cupcakes…
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 12 hole cupcake/muffin tray with baking cases.
- Cream together the unsalted butter and caster sugar with a wooden spoon/electric mixer until creamy and smooth. Add the beaten eggs and vanilla extract and continue to mix until combined.
- In a seperate bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Add 1/2 of this as well as the milk to the butter and sugar mix and fold together until combined.
- Now pour in the strawberry puree, along with the remaining flour and fold together. Finally add in chopped strawberries and mix until completely covered.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners filling 3/4 of the way. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when gently touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Once the cakes a cool we can make the buttercream…
- Beat the butter using a wooden spoon/electric mixer until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
- Add 300g of the icing sugar and the vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Now add the remaining 300g of icing sugar continue to beat until smooth and creamy.
- Frost your cupcakes as desired, (I used a medium sized round piping tip) decorate with the coloured sprinkles and garnish each with a strawberry.